Ever thought of How to Grow Fenugreek at Home? If no then WHY???
Fenugreek seeds and leaves are used in all cooking for taste and aroma. It is easy to grow fenugreek on your balcony or rooftop. Fenugreek or Methi is popular in Indian, Persian, Egyptian, and Ethiopian cuisines. It grows in a warm climate in containers or pots.
Some other names of fenugreek seeds are halba, hilbeh, shanbalile, abesh, and samundra methi. You can grow fenugreek in your terrace organic garden with other herbs and ornamentals by seeds.
How to Grow Fenugreek at Home?
Before moving further to the growing guide, let’s first get to know about fenugreek. What are the types of fenugreek? What are the benefits of fenugreek?
Varieties of fenugreek
- Pusa early
- Punching type
- Methi no. 447
- Methi no. 14
- Methi EC-11
What is the taste and texture of fenugreek?
The taste of fenugreek seeds is the same as maple syrup, crunchy sour, and sweet aroma.
Benefits of fenugreek
- Fenugreek is used as a flavoring agent in maple syrup
- It is used to control high cholesterol
- Fenugreek seeds help in increasing breast milk in women
- It helps in curing diabetes
- Fenugreek seeds are used in manufacturing soaps and cosmetics
- It is used as an ingredient in the spice blend
- It helps in sugar absorption in the stomach
- Fenugreek reduces ovarian cysts and recovers its symptoms
- It helps in eczema, stomach ulcers, prediabetes, wound healing, patchy hair loss, and muscle pain.
How to grow fenugreek at home from seeds?
- For growing fenugreek seeds in a pot or container
- Take seeds and put them in a well-drained and clay soil medium for better growth.
- While sowing seeds, dig about ¼ inches deep and then cover with soil at the top
- Put the pot or container away from the cool-climate or frost area.
- In winters, frost or fog, keep your pot indoor to prevent frost damage.
- Place 2 inches of space between each seed or seedling for germination.
- After two to five days, seedlings sprout from seeds.
- Choose a deep and well drainage pot for the shallow rooting system when selecting a pot.
- The pot should have to be six to eight inches deep.
- Do regular irrigation and avoid waterlogging in the soil.
- Be cautious if you are propagating fenugreek seeds in shady areas.
- For maximum plant growth, put liquid fertilizer should be compost or manure.
- Applying organic pesticides keep your plant away from all kind of pests and diseases like aphids, charcoal rot, and powdery mildew
- Fenugreek plant are harvested after twenty-thirty days for the first harvest.
- After sowing seeds plant reach to harvesting stage after a wait of two to four months
- Harvest with the help of a sharp knife and when attains the dark green color.
Following are the unique continental recipes of fenugreek
- Potato fenugreek
- Chicken meethi
- Meethi Bataka
- Fenugreek spinach
- Fenugreek sauce
- Meethi daal
- Fenugreek seeds water
For making potato fenugreek, you need to cut fenugreek leaves and clean them with fresh water. Put fenugreek leaves in boiling water and let them simmer for 10 minutes. Now take oil zeera, salt, red chili flakes, turmeric, cardamom, and coriander powder with ground garlic cloves and a teaspoon of ginger. Add oil with ginger and garlic, stir fry it, add potato cubed cut, fry them, and add all spices in it. When it becomes a gravy-like mixture, add boiled fenugreek, roast it evenly. Sprinkle roasted powdered cumin at the end and enjoy it with tortilla or bread. Your home organic food is ready for bliss!
- Boiled water
- Fenugreek seeds powder
Fenugreek tea is beneficial for making bones strong and for diabetes also. Take two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds powder and honey in a cup. Add boil water, mix it, and cover for two to three minutes until ingredients steep. Now filter the tea through a sieve and drink.
Fenugreek white sauce
- White pepper
- Black pepper
- Fenugreek dried
- Cumin powder
Add all spices in a bowl, put yogurt, mix all ingredients, sprinkle coriander on it, and enjoy this freshly organic white sauce at home!